Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Dream Thieves


The Dream Thieves
by Maggie Stiefvater

Hardcover, 439 pages
Published September 17th 2013 by Scholastic Press

I don't think I have ever felt such a discrepancy between how much I liked the first and second books of a series. I don't know if the difference was that I read the print copy of the first and listened to the audio of this one. I stuck with it though, which is saying something as I really didn't like it. I am not sure I would have stuck with a print copy. I feel like I was on some bizarre drug-induced trip while listening to it - it was that random and scattered. Or maybe if I had been tripping I would have enjoyed it better?! I have said it a million times and I am going to say it again - if movies, video games, comic books, and TV shows all need ratings - why not books? That way the reader (or parent of the reader) might have an idea of what they are getting into before it starts. This book had an excessive amount of bad words - words that aren't allowed in a PG-13 movie so why so abundant in a teen book? I don't remember that being a problem in the first book, though I tend to be able to ignore it more easily when printed as opposed to being constantly voiced aloud through my earbuds. The characters frequently were taking drugs and other adult situations were mentioned. Up until this point I have loved everything by Stiefvater. I don't know if I will be back for any more of this series.

No comments: