Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A Coming of Age

A Coming of Age
by Timothy Zahn

Mass Market Paperback, 294 pages
Published July 1st 1986 by Baen Books (first published 1984) 
I received a free copy via NetGalley

First, I want to talk covers. I was super excited when I saw this available on NetGalley as I 
thought it was a new book from Zahn. I had no idea it was a reissue of an earlier book.
 The above cover is for the Kindle edition. Then as I was telling my husband about it, 
he said he had a paperback of it and it had this cover:
That image is from Goodreads, sorry it is blurry. But I really didn't like this cover either. Then I noticed this cover on Goodreads and I think I like it best of all three.
Now here is a summary of the story from Goodreads:
The first colonists to reach Tigris thought they had found Eden... but the planet had a horrifying effect on their children. Babies born there developed frightening telekinetic powers at the age of five. No one could control them -- and as the changelings grew and became aware of their abilities they initiated a bloodbath of chaos and violence that nearly destroyed the planet.

Two centuries after the Lost Generation, Tigrins have learned to cope with their strange planet and its effects. But a new threat is rising. In secret a medical researcher is experimenting with the TK ability. His guinea pigs are stolen children; his object, to extend their powers past adolescence and into adulthood. If he succeeds, Tigris faces disintegration.


I can't really add much to it as it has been quite awhile since I read it. I did enjoy it and think teens today will appreciate the story. However a better cover would do wonders to sell it.
 

No comments: