Monday, January 27, 2014

Switchers

Switchers
by Kate Thompson

Kindle Edition, 220 pages
Published June 18th 2013 by Open Road Media Young Readers

Young Tess keeps to herself, mostly because of her big secret - the ability to change into any animal at any time. So she is quite bothered when a young man seems to be stalking her at the bus stop. When she finally begins to trust him she finds out they have a lot in common. And for some reason the city's rats are summoning them to the home of a dotty old lady who also knows their secret. This little jaunt escalates into a full-fledged quest to "save the world". The Earth needs to be rescued from the krools that have emerged from the North Pole and are taking over the planet with cold and snow. Only problem is, the military doesn't know the two of them, in an alternate form, are not the enemy and are launching missiles at them. I wasn't a big fan of the ending and I don't think I will move onto the next one.
I did enjoy this book but I know I would have liked it a lot more if a couple things had been different. Number one, the characters seemed older - like 16 or 17 - than the 13 and 14 years old that they were said to be. Maybe it is the fact that they were in Dublin and kids act older than they do here? I don't know. I have really liked everything else I have read by this author - The New Policeman Trilogy for one - but the writing in this one seemed a little more awkward and unpolished. 

No comments: