Friday, August 9, 2013

The Selection


The Selection
by Kiera Cass

Hardcover, 327 pages
Published April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen

What a fun read! Pride and Prejudice, The Hunger Games and The Bachelor all rolled-into one entertaining and engrossing read! What a creative spin on the trendy dystopian genre! I can't wait for the next book - I know who I am rooting for.

The Pride and Prejudice because all the girls spend their time dressing up, hanging out in a parlor and talking about each other and The Prince. The Hunger Games because there is a process by which girls are chosen to go to the castle and the caste system is reminiscent of the districts in The Hunger Games. Also, the royal family airs a news show every week and they have an entertainment host that reminds me of the guy on The Hunger Games, whose name I can't remember now for the life of me. And finally, the easiest comparison, The Bachelor - 35 young and beautiful women are chosen to move into the castle to interact with the prince in the hopes that he will find one of them worthy to marry.

If you are expecting more violence and edginess based on other people comparing this to the Hunger Games, you will be disappointed. If you are expecting a fun version of the Bachelor, you will probably enjoy it more. I had absolutely no expectations when I opened this book and was pleasantly surprised.

No comments: