Thursday, August 8, 2013

Shatter Me


Shatter Me
by Tahereh Mafi

Hardcover, 338 pages
Published November 15th 2011 by Harper 
 
Juliette has a terrible curse - or gift, depending on who you ask. She can suck the life right out of a person just by the merest touch of her skin to theirs. Of course, she doesn't want to hurt people. Juliette just wants to be loved by her parents, a friend would be nice. Instead, she ends up locked away in an insane asylum as the world she once knew falls apart. The new government, The Reestablishment, now has her in its sights. To one of their leaders she is the ultimate weapon. However, Juliette does not want to be a weapon. Adam is the bright spot in her life, a boy she once knew from afar at school. They are now thrown together with unexpected results as a war rages around them.
This books is just barely a three for me. I am really really torn about it. I absolutely loved the idea - it reminds me of The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance by Dakin - though I was sure this would be better as I liked the dystopian setting. Yet I really disliked the writing style. Juliette's "voice" was quite annoying and how it was written with no punctuation, too many strikeouts and an excessive amount of repetition was almost too much for me. Adam is the reason I kept reading and ultimately finished the book. Adam and James, and even Warner - just a little but. I really don't see myself seeking out the sequel that this one was building towards.

Oh yeah, I really disliked this cover. It just didn't fit the character or the story. I saw this cover on goodreads.com and like it much better.

No comments: