Friday, June 28, 2013

Yesterday

Yesterday
by C. K. Kelly Martin
Hardcover, 368 pages
Published September 25th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers 
 
I really wanted to give this four stars, but I couldn't for one big reason. The information dump towards the end when she visited the hypnotist. I like to learn about new worlds and governments throughout the story. Sprinkled throughout the beginning were a few hints, but then all of a sudden she is relating everything from before the attempted mind wipe and clear. It was interesting but just way too much all at once. The end was good though. I like that it was self-contained, no need for a sequel - though it seems like there always is even when not necessary.
The language was a little too much for a young adult book. I know I have said it a million times, but I will say it again: It really bothers me that there are ratings and language restrictions in movies, but in books it doesn't matter. I don't enjoy reading about teens who frequently drop the f-bomb. It just really disrupts the flow of the story for me and really flaws the character. I don't expect all characters to be completely clean of language, but sometimes it is a little excessive. 

No comments: