Monday, July 26, 2010

Token of Darkness

Token of Darkness
by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
teen supernatural thriller
197 pages
New York : Delacorte Press, c2010

High school football star Cooper is severely injured in a car accident over summer vacation. Returning for his senior year he is a changed person. He won't associate with his former friends anymore, he doesn't sleep because he is haunted by recurring nightmares, and he has an invisible friend. Actually, he thinks Samantha is a ghost. She has been by his side since the moment he awoke in the hospital. She is a troubled spirit with amnesia, yet Cooper would have given up on his recovery without her friendship. Wanting to help Samantha, Cooper gets involved with some local sorcerers and discovers that she might not be what they think she is. Danger surrounds them as amateurs dabble in the dark arts. Who will be left standing when it is all over?
 I was expecting just your basic ghost story when I began reading, quickly I realized I was wrong. The plot had a few things that made me roll my eyes because I was reminded of a Scooby-Doo plot, but overall an exciting paranormal story.

No comments: