Monday, June 28, 2010

Birthmarked

Birthmarked
by Caragh M. O'Brien
young adult fantasy/science fiction
361 pages
New York : Roaring Brook Press, 2010

In the future the Enclave is all-powerful city within the wall. Those who are outside the wall live to serve the Enclave, and wishing they could have the opportunity to live inside. Sixteen-year-old Gaia and her mother are midwives who dutifully serve by turning over a certain quota of newborn babies to the Enclave. Gaia begins to question everything she has been told when her mother and father are arrested and taken within the walls. Gaia has to decide whether or not to flee to save her own life or risk dying by entering the Enclave to rescue her parents.
A fabulous blend of post-apocalyptic science-fiction and a fantasy medieval world. Flawed Gaia is a realistic character with depth and emotion. She acts on impulse and truly follows her heart. Leon is an intriguing male counterpart who has to figure out his own path in life despite his family. An exciting read and a book I actually hope there is a sequel to as I really want to know what happens next.

1 comment:

loo said...

This is one of my new favorites! I'm pretty sure you told me to read it a long time ago, but I just barely got around to it. I don't want to wait for the sequel though! It doesn't come out for a long time still!