Friday, January 15, 2010

The Day-Glo Brothers: The True Story of Bob and Joe Switzer's Bright Ideas and Brand-New Colors


The Day-Glo Brothers: The True Story of Bob and Joe Switzer's Bright Ideas and Brand-New Colors
by Chris Barton
ill. by Tony Persiani
unpaged non-fiction
Watertown, Mass. : Charlesbridge, c2009

Two brothers with completely different goals in life end up joining forces and creating an extremely important concoction. Joe loved the idea of using fluorescent lighting and colors to enhance his magic act. Bob was bored and trying to find something to do after his plans to be a doctor fell through. An interesting story behind something that I see everywhere but had never given a thought to its origin. My very favorite part of the whole book was the illustrations! Fabulously retro in black and white with just touches of Day-Glo colors throughout! I hope people are thinking of this one when they hand out the Caldecot Medal next week!

1 comment:

Raspberry said...

Yay! I can comment! Wow. Sorry. I felt so thwarted... :)
Ok, this book sounds great. I'm so picky about non-fiction ( I couldn't afford to be when I worked there), so I'm always looking for good ones. I'm reading hte Barnum book right now. :)