Monday, May 11, 2009

City of Bones

City of Bones
The Mortal Instruments: Book One
by Cassandra Clare
485 pages
Young Adult
New York : M.K. McElderry Books, c2007.

Clary and Simon are your typical New York teenagers enjoying a night out at a club when their life begins to go awry. Clary is a witness to the murder of a demon by some strange tattoo-covered teenagers. Apparently humans weren't supposed to see any of them. As if that isn't bad enough, Clary's mother disappears and some really nasty demons attack Clary. The Shadowhunters are curious why demons would take such an interest in ordinary humans. But who is Clary? Who is her mother? Are they "ordinary humans"? An action-packed book that will probably find fans among the Twilight groupies. Not only are there demons and demon-hunters, but also vampires and werewolves and fairies, oh my! I must say I expected this novel to be a little edgier and darker than it was. I think I was under that impression based on the cover photo and the Holly Black quote on the front. I however, did not find it "dark and sexy". Maybe I would have had the characters been more than 16-years-old. I can't say that I absolutely loved this book, but I enjoyed it enough to want to read the rest of the series.

2 comments:

Raspberry said...

I was impressed enough with the originality of some scenes that I liked it. There were parts I didn't like, for sure. I never read the second one, so let me know if you end up liking it. I just kind of got sick of it, since near the end of the first she seemed to fizzle out.

Anita said...

I saw that book but when I read the back I thought it sounded too creepy. Maybe I should try it...